Mental Health First Aid Training Course
Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) is a course that gives people the skills to recognize symptoms of mental health challenges, mental health disorders and substance abuse problems, how to offer and provide initial help and how to guide a person toward appropriate treatments and other professional and supportive help.
About This Virtual Course
The virtual course is broken into two parts.
- Part 1 is a self-paced introduction completed on the MHFA Learning Management System (LMS). This pre work takes 2 hours to complete and MUST be completed 2 days prior to the schedule class date otherwise entry to the ZOOM portion may not be permitted.
- Part 2 is the skills application section led by a certified Mental Health First Aid instructor in a ZOOM class room setting. This course is about 8 hours including a 30 minute lunch and several smaller breaks between segments.
- Class size is limited to 30 Harris County employees per class date.
- Additional dates for virtual courses will be posted throughout the year.
- Certificates for this course are granted on the basis of completing the pre-work, ZOOM skills application course, post course evaluation and post course quiz.
You will need:
- Video and audio capabilities on your computer. The course is very interactive with exercises, videos and group work, so it is important for employees to check their video and audio prior to the course to successfully complete the course segments.
- Supervisor approval to complete the course during working hours.
UPCOMING MHFA DATES:
**Due to limited capacity of each course, please register for only ONE Mental Health First Aid session.
How do I receive credit towards the 2022-23 HAMP plan?
- You must complete the entire course (Parts 1 & 2) to receive the certification and points toward your Healthy Actions Medical Plan. Class dates occurring after November 1, 2020 will be credited to the 2022-23 Healthy Actions Medical Plan tracking period.
Can I receive HAMP credit if I completed a MHFA certification that was not coordinated by Harris County Employee Wellness?
- If you completed Mental Health First Aid that was not coordinated by Harris County Employee Wellness (i.e. your department, local instructors), and you would like to receive Healthy Actions credit for the course, please complete the SurveyMonkey form below and upload your MHFA certificate here. Classes MUST be completed between November 01, 2020- October 31, 2021.
The National Council for Mental Wellbeing owns and manages the administration of the Mental Health First Aid training course. If previously scheduled dates are changed or canceled, it is due to the decisions made by the National Council.
Employees that complete the Mental Health First Aid certification course will earn 150 points toward the 2021-2022 Healthy Actions Medical Plan. Click here to learn more.