MENTAL HEALTH FIRST AID
Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) is the help offered to a person developing a mental health problem or experiencing a mental health crisis. It teaches the public how to recognize symptoms of mental health problems, how to offer and provide initial help, and how to guide a person towards appropriate treatments and other supportive help. Mental Health First Aid is not a certification in therapy or counselling.
Time & Date:
Friday, October 23, 2020
10:00 AM – 4:00 PM
- You MUST complete the self-paced introduction 3 days in advance (by Oct. 20) to receive the Zoom invitation.
- This course will include breaks so the end time may change.
Important: The National Council for Behavioral Health owns and manages the administration of the Mental Health First Aid training course. If previously scheduled dates are changed or canceled, it is due to the decisions made by the National Council and not Harris County or Cigna.
This course will be led by a Certified Mental Health First Aid Instructor from Cigna.
Please read before registering!
The MHFA Virtual Course is comprised of two parts:
- MHFA Self-Paced Introduction (2 hours): The first portion of the course is to be completed through the self-paced online portion accessible through the MHFA Learning Management System.
- MHFA Skills Application (6 hours): The second portion of the course is taught virtually via Zoom by a certified MHFA Instructor and focuses on how to apply the MHFA skills.
All participants will receive a confirmation e-mail of their registration with instructions on how to access their online pre-work of MHFA Self-Paced Introduction. Each training participant MUST complete the MHFA Self-Paced Introduction before attending the MHFA Skills Application portion of the course. Please contact the training instructor if you require some accommodations for the course provided in the confirmation e-mail.
In order to participate in both parts of the virtual course, attendees will need:
- a connection to the internet
- a computer/laptop with a microphone and video setup to participate in group activities
Once someone is registered for the course, they will receive an email from the MHFA Learning Management System that will instruct them to create an account with the system and access the self-paced course. They will also receive reminders via email to complete the course before the date of the instructor-led portion.
Register Here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/virtual-mental-health-first-aid-1023-tickets-122410530191
HEALTHY ACTIONS MEDICAL PLAN 2021-22
Earn 150 points for attending this Virtual Mental Health First Aid Certification. Eligible employees must complete both the 2 hour Self-Paced Introduction and 6 hour Skills Application to receive credit towards their Healthy Actions Medical Plan.